Hait

Hait

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My apologies for not posting for the last week or so, but my team was working in Thomas where there is no internet access. I’ll try to catch up over the next 3 or 4 days.

Days 32 & 33 (10/16 – 17)
Sunday – Today turned out to be a complete day of rest. We stayed “home” and attended church on campus. With no teams here, we planned to work on the area where some of the Haitian staff stay at the Guest House, but discovered that the building supply place was closed on Sunday. (I just don’t understand it. Home Depot never closes in Sacramento. J) So – there was nothing left to do but put our feet up and catch-up on our reading - all in all, a welcome change of pace.
Monday – I started the day with a meeting of the EMH (the Methodist Church of Haiti) Haitian Home Project principals. We finalized the contract between the EMH and World Hand Alliance – the contractor that will build 30 of the 40 houses in the pilot project. Among the things discussed – like schedule, budget, logistics – was my appointment as interim UMCOR consultant for the project. I’m going to have to get bigger business card.
The best part of my day, by far, was seeing my team from Sacramento come through the baggage claim/customs door at PAP airport. It was great to see friends from home. We got everybody loaded into the blue tap tap, fondly referred to as “the prison bus”, and headed back to the Guest House. It was fun to watch everyone’s excitement and reaction to their first glimpse of Haiti. I loved being a tour guide. After getting everyone settled at the Guest House, we went up to Epidor’s for lunch. With full stomachs and exhausted bodies from an all-night “red eye” flight, everybody crashed for a few hours before dinner. I, of course, went back to the office for a few hours of work.
Everybody loved their first traditional Haitian dinner of salad, red beans and rice, a baked pork dish, fried plantains, rolls and butter and a fruit dish. Tom, Sarah and John did a great welcome and orientation session with numerous jokes at my expense. But, I think I gave as well as I received. Almost everyone was still a little sleep deprived, so it was early to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment