Hait

Hait

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Days 73 - 75 (11/26 – 28)
Saturday – Well, the lull ended and it was business as usual today. We had 1 team returning from Petit Goave; 1 team returning from Dasmas and 2 teams arriving from the states today. It’s amazing how the hustle and bustle of 40 or more people coming and going becomes the norm. It’s even more amazing how the staff just takes it in stride.
I was able to get the tool and supply cabinets reorganized and the individual toolboxes that go to the sites with the teams restocked before the crowds appeared. It gave me the same feeling as when I finally get my garage cleaned out and reorganized at home - a dirty but necessary, periodic chore. Tom, Sarah and John were busy playing hosts to the teams – doing debriefs and orientations. I was available in my usual role as backup where needed. I’m in a holding pattern right now with my projects. I have all of my preliminary reports out and am waiting for approval and/or additional input from various people before I can proceed. With my luck, they’ll all come back the same day.
Sunday – This morning we got 1 team off to Mellier ; 1 team off to La Tremblay and 2 teams off to the airport heading home. It’s quiet again at the Guest House. Since we won’t have another team in until Wednesday, Sarah took off for a couple of days of R & R in the Dominican Republic. Tom, John and I wished we had satellite TV so we could watch a little football, but it’s not in the budget. So – we spent the afternoon catching up on all those little things that we put off during the week.
In the late afternoon, Doug Ahlfeld, from Homes 4 Haitians, came in from Mellier. H4H is one of the 2 contractors building the 40 houses for the EMH Pilot Project. Doug came in country last Wednesday, but went directly to Mellier. Although we have talked on the phone and emailed a lot, it was the first time that I’ve seen Doug since the Reconstruction Forum in April. It was fun to catch-up a little and a chance to do some scheduling for the next 10 houses. It’s a nice feeling to finally have some houses under construction.
Monday – Today John Alcorn’s replacement arrived. John is going home Wednesday after nearly 7 months as the VIM-Haiti Financial Director. We’re sorry to see John leave but know that his family will be happy to have him back home. His replacement will be Mario Fils-Ami (see photo), a Haitian-American living in the U.S. for the past 20 years. He decided it was time to return to Haiti and help his people. Mario has a very impressive accounting resume and will be a valuable addition to our team. It’s very inspiring to work with the dedicated people of UMVIM and UMCOR that serve the Haiti Recovery Plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment