Hait

Hait

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Days 157 – 160 (03/21 – 24)
Wednesday Today is my brother’s birthday. He is much older than I. J Happy Birthday, Nixson.
We got our one team packed up and off to the airport and home this morning. I then returned to my computer to stare at my incoming email, waiting to hear from New York about my grant request. I feel like General Halftrack in Beetle Bailey cartoons looking in the mailbox for a letter from the Pentagon. Nothing. We have a team arrive from the states in the afternoon. We get them settled – back to the computer – still nothing. I went to bed a little frustrated, but the rain on the tin roof finally lulled me to sleep.
Thursday – We have been having rain almost every night for the last couple of weeks. The rainy season doesn’t official start for a few weeks so this is a little early. However, I love the rain at night. It makes the air in the morning fresh and cool - my favorite time of the day with a cup of savory Haitian coffee in my hands and our Haitian dogs Yorkie and Blackie clamoring to get on my lap.
We sent our team off to their worksite in Mellier and Sarah off to Port Salud for our friend Jenn Rogan’s wedding. (The land ownership issue of Haiti Health Ministries that Jenn works for is still being worked out by the lawyers.) Then it was back to the computer for my email vigil until the welcome interruption of the arrival of another new team from the states. Then, at 4:36 PM, a message from Melissa Crutchfield in New York - “Good News. The Board approved the Funding Request for the Guest House Staff Housing Project for the full amount requested.” What a great feeling to see 5 months of work finally start coming together. The next step is to get the final approval from Pastor Paul and the EMH. We meet tomorrow morning.
Friday – Tom and I got the team off to LaTremblay early this morning and then hurried to our meeting with Pastor Paul. The issue to be resolved was that the project approved and now funded by UMCOR was not exactly how Pastor Paul wanted it done. He had changed directions twice after the grant proposal was submitted. We explained that the changes could not be made after the proposal was submitted and that we needed to proceed with the original plan. Thankfully, he accepted the proposal as written and we will be able to proceed.
We didn’t have time to celebrate because we had a team come back from Arcahaie and another team arrive from the States. With Sarah gone, it was a little busier than normal. It wasn’t until late that night that we had time to sit back and enjoy the success.
Saturday – Another beautiful, after-rain morning. After my morning coffee and breakfast (in that order) I started putting together a checklist of the steps and documentation that will be necessary to start the staff housing project. It will be in two parts. The first part will be a new 8 unit building to be built on the opposite side of the parking lot from the Guest House. Four of the units will be for the Haitian staff currently living in small rooms behind the kitchen and four units will be for the VIM Haiti Response Plan staff (Tom, Sarah, Mario and me). The second part will be rebuilding and/or repairing homes for the 14 staff members that lost their homes in the earthquake. The 2 parts will be done concurrently. The plans for the 8 unit have already been completed by Engineer LaPlanche and we can start construction right away. We can start on the individual houses as soon as we have land title documentation, construction estimates and contracts in place.
This afternoon we sent one team home to the States and welcomed Tom’s wife Wendy and their friends Terry and Mike. They (including Tom) are leaving tomorrow on a 2 day hike over the mountains from Furcy to Jacmel – about 30 miles. At 4:00 PM I had the best meeting I have had in Haiti. I was able to tell the staff that the funding had been approved and we were going to be able to help them rebuild their homes. The excitement, smiles and clapping made my whole Haiti experience worthwhile. The cherry on the top will be to see them move into their new homes.

1 comment:

  1. Love your Blog.... Love you and what you and your team are doing for the people of Haiti...
    and the love you show the world... Carol H

    ReplyDelete