Hait

Hait

Friday, September 30, 2011

Days 14 & 15 (9/28-29)
Wednesday – We had a meeting this morning with representatives of the EMH (Haitian Methodist Church), community leaders from Carre Four and Mellier, World Hand Alliance (contractor), engineers and UMVIM/UMCOR. The purpose was to finalize the contract for the 40 house pilot project. I think that we have everything ironed out – finally. Now it just needs to be translated into French and signed by all the parties.
After the pilot project meeting I had my meeting with James Lazarre from Thomas. He reported that several homes were destroyed, animals killed and personal belongings lost in the flood. The community has come to the aid of the victims and everything is under control at this time. I have asked him to give me a detailed list of damages and will make a site visit on Monday to determine if there is a need for UMVIM/UMCOR assistance in the recovery.
Tonight I’m going to watch a DVD of “True Grit” – the original with John Wayne. But, what’s a movie without popcorn?
Thursday – Week 3 begins – time flies when you’re having fun. “True Grit” was great last night. There is and always will be only one John Wayne.
 I spent most of my time today doing online research. I’m trying to find sources for building materials. I’d like, for many reasons, to procure as much material in-country as possible. It eliminates the headaches of packaging, shipping, customs, port fees, delays, bribes, etc., etc. and helps stimulate the economy. But, it’s not an easy task in a country that has no natural resources and little or no manufacturing. And, obviously, not all Haitian suppliers maintain websites. With upwards of 60 houses to build and a major renovation of the Guest House complex, we’re looking at a significant amount of material. Oh well, that’s why I’m getting the big bucks. J
Tomorrow is going to be a travel day. I’ll be visiting 4 or 5 sites between Port au Prince and Mellier. It will be nice to get out of the office and see some of the country. Hopefully, I’ll have some more pictures to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment